Thursday, January 2, 2014

Happy 2014!!!  So, we celebrated the New Year the same way as always.  We watched the ball drop on Fox New channel.  It was pretty uneventful, but it was a blessing to watch with my family.  I pray that you were able to spend the New Year with your family.  I also pray that 2014 brings you a year full of blessings.

So, this is the first blog of the New Year.  Hmmm...What do blog about???  That is always the question.

Today, I am going to write about my creation yesterday.  For a while now, I have been making some Infinity Scarves, or Tube Scarves, or Endless Scarves.  They have so many different names.  When I make these, I notice that there is several inches of material left over.  Well, being me, I can't help but think, "You know there is something that can be made with that left over material"  For a long time, I had no ideas.  This Christmas, I was making some of these scarves for my mom and mother-in-law.  It finally hit me...HEADBANDS.  A headband is just simply a smaller infinity scarf.  WOW!  I seriously can't believe it took me this long.  So, yesterday, I began creating a headband.

It started out pretty simple.  Then, I tried the first one out.  Bummer!  The first one looks good, but I can barely get it over my head.  It is so very tight.  Well, maybe it is just my big head.  So, I gave it to my daughter to try out.  She couldn't even get it on at all.  So, back to the drawing board.

It seemed to be that the material stretched, but the stitching kept one side from stretching.  OH!  That is right.  I was using the wrong stitch.  DUH! A straight stitch doesn't stretch.  So, out comes the manual to the sewing machine.  Did you know that there is a stitch for stretchy material(LOL)?  Yes, I know dumb question.  I did know this, but I had forgotten.

After changing my stitch, I had better success.  The next 2 headbands turned out great.  One was still a little small, but would work great for a young girl.  The other one was good for an adult sized head.  I do still need to work with the size a little, but I have a good start.  Check out the pictures, and post a comment here about what you think.  Enjoy!



Other colors and styles to come.  The other big news of yesterday is that my daughter finished her first crocheted scarf.  She had decided a while ago that she wanted to learn to crochet.  We had some bumps in the road in the area of learning stitches, but she has got it down now.  Here are pictures of her first finished product.  I am a very proud momma.




No comments:

Post a Comment